2. One of the earliest known recipes for meat in a spicy sauce dates back to 1700BC on tablets found near
in Babylon Mesopotamia (known today as ). Iraq
3. The first curry house opened in
in 1809 but curry first appeared on a Britain menu at a Coffee House as early as 1773. UK
4. Today there are over 10,000 Indian curry houses in the
5. Bay leafs as we know them in the Europe come from the sweet bay laurel tree with flavours of oregano/thyme whereas Asian bay leafs come from the cassia tree and have a cinnamon flavour.
6. Over 500,000 tonnes of spices are exported globally annually by
7. The tallest poppadom stack ever built was made of 1,052 poppadoms measuring 1.51 metres high, at the Curry Lounge,
Nottingham on July 22, 2009.
8. Bombay Duck is not a duck recipe but fish fillets which have been air-dried until crisp.
9 Biryani was a ready-to-eat dish for soldiers during time of war.
10. Dairy produce works best to alleviate the ‘chilli burn’ after eating a hot dish, drink milk or lassi instead of beer/wine or water or treat yourself to an icecream for dessert!
If you love curry come and join The Curry Club on Linked In.