Sunday 23 February 2014

Finding your Who

It’s important for entrepreneurs to create their USP, (unique special proposition) and during the 30 Day Blog Challenge Natalie recommends developing your USP by finding your why, exploring why you do what you do not just stating the things you do.

However, throughout this process I have been obsessed with finding my who: 
  • Who were my audience?
  • Who was I going to sell to?
  • Who were my target market of ideal clients?
  • What products or services would my ideal clients pay for?



For any marketer it’s vital to understand as much as you can about your audience, who they are, where they are, what they like/don’t like and what their problems are. If you don’t know who you are helping then how do you know how to help and with what? How can you answer their questions or provide them with the solutions they are looking for?

In my role I would never create a product or service or even write an article without first thinking about who would use it or read it and why it is relevant to them. 

With nearly 10 years marketing experience under my belt in a wide cross section of industries from kiddies gummy bears to modular construction buildings puts me in a position to help almost any business with any aspect of their marketing.
  • Who did I want to help most?
  • Who would benefit most from my knowledge and expertise?
  • Who would I get most satisfaction from helping?

And then during a spot of pre Christmas pampering, all these questions were answered. I was enjoying a relaxing massage in a beautiful boutique salon run by my friend Tracey. She is pursuing her dream of running her own business doing what she loves. We always bounce around ideas for marketing and promotions. But on this occasion we got talking about websites. Tracey had a problem, the salon doesn’t appear in Google searches for any of the treatments they offer. So I gave her some advice on SEO and what she needs to do. But she was struggling to find time to dedicate to making changes to the website and was getting a bit lost in the content management system.

So I offered to do it for her.

Two weeks later the salon ranks 2nd in Google’s organic search for massage in the local area.
I felt an enormous sense of satisfaction, knowing that my skills and expertise has been put to good use, not lining the pockets of some faceless corporation, but delivering practical help to someone who needed it to enable them to continue to pursue their passion.  

These are the people that I want to help; small business owners who are good at what they do, that are building a business around their passion. They get to concentrate on their passion and doing what they love and I get to help them by doing what I enjoy.

I couldn’t have developed my USP without first finding my who.

How did you find your who? I'd love to hear about it in the comments below. 


If you are just starting out running your own business then you might like some of my motivational articles on the Mindset for Success blog like tips for setting SMART goals and avoiding procrastination, I'd love to see you over there.

I’m taking part in the Suitcase Entrepreneur’s 30 Day Blog Challenge, to create freedom and adventure in life. Today, I’m expanding on Day 12’s question “What is your USP, Unique Special Proposition that sets you apart from the crowd?”